Where Steering Complaints Happen
Sometimes it helps just to tally up the complaints and see where the biggest stacks are. Use this information to learn about troublespots or to run for the hills.
- 2005 Cobalt power steering failure 128 (100%)
- 2005 Malibu popping from steering when turning 94 (73%)
- 2004 Malibu power steering going out intermittently 83 (65%)
- 2003 Silverado thumping from steering column 64 (50%)
- 2004 Silverado clunking from steering shaft 59 (46%)
- 2004 Malibu clunking noise from steering 49 (38%)
- 2005 Silverado clunking noise from steering 38 (30%)
The electronic power steering may suddenly stop working in over 27,000 Cadillacs, Corvettes, and Camaros.
An internal GM investigation found inconsistencies with the circuit boards supplied by Bosch. You’ll still be able to steer, but turning gets a heck of a lot harder without power assistance. GM will replace the entire power steering gear assemblies in a recall expected to begin this month.
Low voltage is temporarily disabling the power steering in more than 1 million GM trucks and SUVs, prompting a massive recall for the 2015 model year.
A near carbon-copy recall was made for similar vehicles back in August 2017. The major difference? It was 2014 model year.
Is anyone staffing the shoulda seen that coming department over at GM?
Your steering wheel could get stuck while driving and GM doesn't think that's enough of a safety hazard to warrant a recall.
Owners have complained that if they drive with their steering wheel in one position for a long enough, it can suddenly stick and become impossible to turn. The problem eventually remedies itself but not before making the driver sweat it out like Richard Simmons:
"At highway speeds the steering sticks, making it scary to drive and dangerous” the owner of a 2013 Cruze wrote to the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).…